Friday, June 13, 2014

New Neighbor?
Nope... Just a Squatter
I have been gone from the boat for a week or so now and I am suddenly worried about this little squatter sitting on her nest.  It is hard to tell from my bad photography but her nest is actually on the bimini framework on the house boat next to me.  My concern is what happens when the owners come down and decide to take the boat out? (I’ve never seen them and I don’t think they have been down for many months, but summer season is here)  Will her nest and boat disappear while she is out cavorting with nectar filled flowers? Will the little Hummer Squatter follow her eggs/babies?  Will she hang around waiting for the boat to come back with her nest?  Will the owners even see the nest or perhaps, brush it off as dirt (it is tiny) while cleaning their houseboat? A tragedy in the making, I fear.  And why should a small drama such as this one take up so much of my limited worry time?  After all, I could worry about the Roberts court or society’s partisan chasm or the dangerous world my great grandchildren are inheriting. I guess the answer is pretty much delineated by the fact that most of us don’t want to deal with the big issues (and yes I still think an individual can influence big events even if in a small way) and worrying about small things relieves us of any responsibility to change our world for the better.  Or maybe, it’s just me and my well developed sense of denial and procrastination that positions me in this particular cubicle? Our little Ms. Hummer may be a squatter but in reality, are we not all squatters in the greater sense?  We temporarily inhabit this space in time but it IS temporary.  As the mores of society shift beneath our own feet, is this any different that Ms. Hummer’s nest disappearing while she is out collecting nectar? Certainly a great many of us feel alienated (and left behind) on both sides of the red/blue, liberal/conservative divide. I am an optimist however and firmly believe our kids and grandkids are smarter than us and will devise a cure for our current world’s ills. In the meantime, I really hope Ms. Hummer gets her kids out of the nest before it disappears. It is the least I can do… which is all too often my first choice.  I must try harder… .        

2 comments:

  1. Mr Kay, Ms Hummer had hatched her chick/s only one that I can tell. Mike and I checked on her this morning. I will try to prevent that boat from leaving her mooring. As we have seen more Ms Hummer than we have the owners. Other than that all is fine here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger. I am mad at you because Janet and I have spent YEARS looking for a hummingbird nest and never seen one! Also, be of good cheer because nesting season does not last forever, and if your neighbors don't remove the next in the next 6 weeks or so, she's probably had more than enough time to raise her babies. Also, be of bad cheer because hummingbirds get their protein picking gnats out of spider webs and they also use spider webs as a key nest material.

    But cheer up, you are an awesome dancer. xxoo Marge

    ReplyDelete