Tuesday, April 29, 2014

SLIP 327  Kentucky Dam Marina... Empty
Oreo and I are standing in front of AURORA's empty new home.  Ever get that empty feeling? Sure you do,,, we all do.  And for a plethora of reasons. Sometimes that empty feeling is caused by friends moving away, sometimes by our progeny going off to college and sometimes by a treasured memory fading. Personally however, I am a bit more pedantic. When I get that empty feeling regardless of its cause, filling up my belly ameliorates the pain.  Sure you might argue that empty feeling I've just described is mental not visceral, but I could easily counter that argument with the disturbing (only slightly) thought that I have always had an empty space between my ears anyway and have never been able to DO anything about that issue.  However, that empty feeling slightly lower down is something I CAN fix.  So today when that familiar empty feeling was particularly painful, I sought out Broadbents in Kuttawa, a small but renowned family operation engaged in the sole task of making assorted pig parts taste really, really good. The morning sun's heat may have been washed away by an itinerant noon time rain cell, but after I filled up that empty lower region space with a selection of porcine delicacies.. bingo... the sun popped back out brighter and warmer than before.  Obviously there is a life lesson in this afternoon's endeavors. Specifically, the sun shines on those who appreciate the taste sensation that is fatty piggy parts. Ergo, in case that empty feeling comes back tomorrow, I have located a 15 year BBQ pitmaster champion's little stand about 30 miles from this empty slip. Philosophically I believe emptiness to be an abomination and all of us should do our part to fill in empty spaces.  So, I believe today un-equivocally proved the value of bacon.  Hear that David?  Bacon, bacon, bacon... there, now I've said it.  A life without bacon is a life that is EMPTY...  as empty as AURORA's new home in Slip 327.        

No comments:

Post a Comment