Friday, April 25, 2014

Visiting Small Town America

Preparing to Visit Smaller Town America

As AURORA's re-routes and detours pile up, the roadways become narrower and the overhead wires droop lower.  Hence the "skidders," (the flexible PVC tubing visible under the lights) to prevent snagging wires that may be lower than reported. I have no idea how this delivery compares with others the Gooding's have made over the years but it cannot be one of the easier ones based just on detours alone.  Their website depicts trucking a boat twice as long as AURORA from San Francisco to Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin through the Rockies, Montana and the Great Plains.  Granted it is not as high as AURORA, but over 90 feet?  I believe these folks are magicians.  Everyone of the trucking firms I spoke with during the selection process said the same thing... "We'll take care of the boat as if it were our own."  Nancy, on the other hand, said to me over the phone, "Roger, Dan and I will take care of AURORA as if SHE were our own."   Notice Nancy said "she"?  In my mind, that makes them people who understand the relationship we boat owners have with our boats.  And is further evidenced by taking the time to install those skidders even though the route description says she will slip under the wires of Small Town America detours.  Now I may have to install skidders on my noggin for when I duck through the low bridge door leading out of AURORA's pilot house. After a quarter of a century, I still bang my head occasionally on that damn low bridge.  Just goes to prove you not only can't teach an old dog new tricks, you can't teach him OLD tricks either...  hmmmm!               

No comments:

Post a Comment