Wednesday, May 28, 2014

KDM Traffic Jam

A post or two back, I showed a shopping cart loaded with stuff to take down to the boat slip. Apparently I was unaware of standard operating procedures at KDM.  This past Memorial Day weekend was abnormally busy in the marina and I got schooled in how a Southern Gentleman victualizes his yacht.  (or in most cases, his house boat)  Zero car and truck parking (the vast majority of vehicles in this part of the world are pick-up trucks) but most surprising, the plethora of electric golf carts parked on the Holy Church Hill above my pier.  The nearest golf course is about a mile away and I have been curious as to why such a high percentage of boaters also golf locally.  The above pix was taken the day before the holiday weekend and every golf cart space was filled.  By late Friday afternoon, however, this golf cart parking area was nearly empty.  Observing the arriving elderly Southern Gentlemen in their natural habitat, I was shocked to see none were packing golf clubs but nearly all were badly over-loading said golf carts with cases of booze, beer and B-B-Q.  They gingerly climbed into the driver's seat and proceeded to drive the 20 yards from their car to the pier... and continue right down the pier to their boat slip.  Now I understand that cases of alcohol and bags of foodstuffs are heavy but there are a herd of shopping carts available next to the golf cart parking area.  Pushing a shopping cart down the dock however is NOT the Southern Way.  In total I would guess the average saving in yards walked versus yards ridden in a fancy painted Kentucky Wildcat golf cart to be about 40.  The last time I experienced this level of entitlement, I was in Daharan, Saudia Arabia and local university students were driving their Mercedes from one building to another on campus rather than walk half a block. This golf cart migration to the docks and slips was eerily similar in its hilarity.  Fast forward to Tuesday post holiday and the golf cart parking lot was again filled to capacity.  I may have to get me one of those carts. I could paint a Bucky Badger on one door and a Packer "G" on the other.  Then I'd only need an Obama bumper sticker and you could read about me in the New York Times... "YANKEE GOLF CART EXPLODES - DOMESTIC TERRORISM SUSPECTED."       

2 comments:

  1. So I see my dear new friend Mr. Kay, you seem to have a problem with the variety of transportation that I choose to carry myself to and from work. I do agree that most of the pickup trucks, are most fancy and serve no useful. purpose other than to waste the earths precious recourses. ahhh Global Warming and W Ky is the root of it all.
    Kidding of course. Love the blog keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete