Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Standing at the end of Pier Three, Kris and Oreo welcome me and AURORA to Kentucky Dam Marina on a white capped Thursday morning.  She may be dirty but she ran the 5 mile upwind trip in an easy lope at 1850 RPMs.  20 knots of headwind and yet, the biggest wave only ran about 18 inches.  In Santa Monica Bay we'd have been rockin' & rollin' in 4-5 footers.  I guess fetch does have something to do with wave height... who'd have thunk it.....?  
Undercover Roughwater

RK Explores Alternate Entrance
In response to the one or two irate emails inquiring if I had died, this was one of those times when I REALLY did wish you were here.  Cleaning, washing, removing the residue from the yellow gaffer's tape I used to seal the aft end of the cabin top and pilot house made the last few days disappear sans blog posts but not without the intake of an inordinate amount of ibuprofen.  Constant manual labor is not one of my favored traits.  I feel in the interest of full disclosure I must mention I blew the first docking maneuver coming into slip 327.  That strong cross wind pushed me too far down the fairway as I made an early turn to the slip and I had to do a go-around. But I guessed right on the second attempt slipping easily into the slip without hitting either Kris or Oreo waiting on the finger pier.  Nothing like embarrassing one's self with a bad first impression.  Thankfully I saw only one guy across the fairway shake his head, no doubt grateful that I was not on his dock.  Serious re-commissioning now commences.   

No comments:

Post a Comment