Thursday, May 29, 2014





Mr. Contrite 
This is me unshaven, un-awake, un-caffeinated, and un-repentant but I am slightly contrite. In life, I am not normally a look-in-the-rear-view-mirror kind of person, preferring the view out the front windshield to anything drifting away and fading into the past.  That's not to say I don't use the past to frame my future rants but I rarely go back over things I've written because we change everyday and if you look back you'll want to change something which of course is an idiot's folly.  What one CAN do is adjust future actions. I recently learned this revolutionary concept (for me) is called learning.  It is a little strange to me but most of you may have heard of it. So this morning, one of my new neighbors on the dock mentioned that he had read my blog and enjoyed it but for some unknown reason, I suddenly felt a slight twinge.  Back in my hole at the computer, I perused a bunch of posts (there were far more than I remembered writing) about me and my aversion to change.  I was horrified to note that it could be construed by some that I have been having a bit of fun at the expense of my new surroundings and new friends.  Nothing could be further from the truth. Once again my personal myopia has led me a wee bit astray because everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, has been incredibly welcoming and kind, They have offered help, advice, wine and even laugh at my bad jokes.  These are wonderful folks down here and I will mention that I have traveled a bit in this wide world and nowhere have I found a welcome as gracious as I have received in this little corner of Kentucky.  My intention has always been to have a good laugh at myself for not being a big enough person to recognize my own provincial attitudes. It has never been to make small of regional cultural differences regardless of how weird they may seem to me personally.  As someone who cares a great deal about words and how they are positioned next to one another, I want to apologize if any of you have been offended... oh wait, that's not what I wanted to say... I really don't care if I offend you, so let me re-phrase...  it is NEVER my intention to hurt... but if my chronicling of personal observations is hurtful to a few, perhaps the issue is not my observations.  Strong protestation often brings to mind Willie Shakespeare when he said (not to me personally) "methinks she doth protest too much."  Oh oh... Now I am sure I am going to get a note from my editor and great friend, Nic Allez, who promptly corrected me on my Henry V quote the other day regarding"'once more UNto the breach," not "into the breach," as I so prominently displayed.  In fact he sent me the entire soliloquy so I could grasp the context of the original since I was bastardizing same. Under his breath, I am sure he was muttering, "When is he going to learn?" As I previously mentioned, this whole concept of learning is new to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment